BE SAFE AROUND COLD WATER THIS YEAR!
The Canadian Safe Boating Council hosts both in person and virtual workshops facilitated by Dr. Gordon Giesbrecht (aka Professor Popsicle) of the University of Manitoba and world-renowned expert in hypothermia.
To find out more about taking part in our next workshop or to host your own for your organization, click here.
Maybe you’re just interested in finding out a little more about how our bodies react to cold water immersion. You may be a first responder wanting to learn more about how to maximize the survival of potentially hypothermic individuals you’re called upon to rescue, these workshops are for you. These give you a great grounding in the following:
- Understanding the Myths Around Cold Water Immersion and Hypothermia
- How Our Bodies React to Heat and Cold Stimuli
- 4 Ways Our Bodies Lose Heat
- What Happens to Our Bodies When Immersed in Cold Water
- Immersion vs. Submersion in Cold Water
- Cold Water Survival and Thermal Protective Clothing
- How to Get Back in Your Boat Should You Fall Overboard and are Alone
- Basic First Response… When You’re The Only One Who Can Help!
- Victim Extraction, Packaging, Triage and Transport to EMS
- The Decision to Stay or Swim When You’re on Your Own
- Ice Assisted and Self-Rescue
We are in the process of planning another Cold Water workshop for next year.
Our in-person workshops combine both morning classroom sessions with the afternoons spent in practical activities dockside. There is a one-day general interest workshop for non-first responders covering the materials listed above. The cost is $185 per person. We also offer two-day instructor workshops for those who want to take what they have learned back to their organizations to be taught to their personnel. These concentrate more on the delivery of the materials and the practical rescue techniques. The price for this instructor workshop is $400/person.
We have plenty of additional cold water resources available, including the Cold Water Boot Camp and Beyond Cold Water Boot Camp DVDs, available for purchase at https://csbc.ca/en/cold-water-dvd-s