– Special Recognition Award –
The First Mr. Clean (Marine)
Ontario boaters are very fortunate Bob Eaton chose to live in the province. Boating Ontario and the Recreational Marine Industry are particularly grateful for his contribution, and wanted the Canadian Safe Boating Council to know.
Bob volunteered with Boating Ontario for close to 20 years after retiring from Georgian College. Here are some of the things he accomplished for the boating industry during his lifetime, which unfortunately ended in September 2013:
- Teaching at Georgian College’s marine program in Orillia for 28 years.
- Moving the program from Orillia to its new home in Midland, and helping to create the Recreational Boating Centre of Excellence through fund-raising activities.
- Filling the role of Chair of the Boating Ontario Skills Committee.
- Creating the Top 40 Under 40 as a means of promoting the industry to young folks entering college.
- Helping to create training programs for apprentices in the boating industry
- Participating in the group that founded the Clean Marine Program (circa 1997). He then assumed leadership and made it the best environmental program in the world for marina operators.
- Helping Boating Ontario develop a solid working relationship with both the Ontario and federal ministries of the Environment. Such was his impact that Boating Ontario created the Robert J. Eaton Environmental Award in 2001 in his name that has been honouring recipients since then.
- Being inducted in 1998 into the National Marine Manufacturers Association’s Hall of Fame and winning the OMOA WJ Robertson Award.
- Receiving three Canadian Safe Boating Awards for his contributions to the marine environment.
The Canadian Safe Boating Council extends its thanks to Bob’s wife Sandy for his extended career of giving to boating and the marine environment
Sandy Eaton and her daughter Sarah Turnham accept the Special Recognition Award from the CSBC’s Ted Rankine honouring their husband/father Robert (Bob) Eaton’s tireless efforts in helping Canadian marina operators adopt sustainable environmental practices.