May 18th-24th, 2019
The 2019 North American Safe Boating Awareness Week Campaign is ramping up for this year's boating season. Since 1995, this campaign has been the mainstay of boating safety outreach to the over 16 million people who recreate on Canadian waters each season. The 2019 campaign will be no exception as we continue to strive to engrain safe and responsible boating practices as second nature on the water.
The purpose of Safe Boating Awareness Week is to provide boaters as they prepare to embark on another boating season of some key reminders that will help to keep them safe on the water throughout the season.
At the core of the 2019 campaign are the 5 key messages that we have been consistently delivering to the boating community.
- Wear a PFD or Lifejacket
- Don’t Drink & Boat
- Take a Boating Course
- Be Prepared, Both You and Your Vessel
- Be Wary of the Dangers of Cold Water Immersion
The media continues to be the key platform for disseminating boating safety messaging to those who will head out on Canadian waterways in their powerboats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks and personal watercraft this season.
SBAW Kick-off Events
Please check back closer to the date for Event Locations
Boating Safety Outreach Volunteers
Volunteers are the backbone of the Safe Boating Awareness Week Campaign at the local level. The materials that are available on this site are ideal for use in
- Approaching your local Community Newspaper, Television or Radio stations requesting that the materials be included in their publication or broadcast content. (A Volunteer E-Guide is also available on the CSBC site to guide volunteers every step of the way in their media contact efforts.)
- Incorporating into your organization’s member newsletters, press releases and customer outreach communications.
- Interviews that you may be approached to provide as a local boating safety enthusiast or professional.
With everyone's continued support, the CSBC along with its members and partners can continue to reduce the number of recreational boating incidents and help to save lives.
And finally we want to recognize Transport Canada, Office of Boating Safety, for their confidence and support of this year's Safe Boating Awareness Week Campaign.
Have a fun and safe boating season!!!